Welcome to Govanhill Glasgow.
Govanhill is a area in the city of Glasgow. It is situated south of the River Clyde between the Gorbals and Queens Park. The council ward has boundaries of Dixon Avenue and Dixon Road to the South, Victoria Road to the West, Butterbiggins Road to the North, and Aikenhead Road to the East. The history of the area is linked to the Dixon family. A prominent miner and ironworker named William Dixon opened local works and brought jobs to the area. The area itself was formed in 1877 and the main avenue that runs the length of it is called Dixon Avenue. Some of the local streets were name after the daughters of William Dixon Jnr, namely Allison Street, Daisy Street, and Annette Street.
Govanhill is home to one of Glasgow's original Carnegie libraries, deftly designed in the Edwardian Baroque style by James Robert Rhind. The library is situated at the junction of Langside Road and Calder Street.